Charcoal in garbage causes house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Charcoal in garbage causes house fire

April 6, 2006

Albany -- An East Albany family's home is damaged by fire, started by dumping their grill's charcoal into their trash can.

About 4 AM Thursday  a neighbor spotted the fire at Annie Watt's home at 11-hundred Maple Street, and put it out with a garden hose.

Charcoal dumped into this trash can set it on fire, then spread to the carport and the house.

Firefighters say they see these type fires several times a year. Albany Fire Chief James Carswell said "Anytime you are using charcoal briquettes to cook with, make sure they are out before you discard it."

The fire damage is estimated at $3000, but Firefighters say it could have been much worse if the neighbor had not spotted the fire.

feedback: news@walb.com?subject=charcoalfire

 

Powered by WorldNow