Family still mourns loved one -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Family still mourns loved one

February 22, 2005

Albany-- There's relief for the family of an Albany man murdered three years ago. Albany Police call it a long and difficult investigation. Investigators say 23-year-old Anthony Richardson beat 32-year-old Willie James Gipson to death in his Northeast Albany home. Richardson is finally in jail.

"This is the day I've been waiting for. I've been waiting three years for this day," says Georgia Hayles. For the past three years, Georgia Hayles has been waiting for the bittersweet day her son's murderer was put behind bars.

"It's still fresh, still fresh," says Hayles.

Although dozens of months have passed, she still remembers that sad day in November 2002. Her son, Willie James Gipson was found dead in his home at 1403 Elva Street.

"He was a nice person and he loved everyone," says Hayles.

"The whole family was devastated and shocked and it just couldn't have been our brother," says his brother Jerome Reeves.

The brother and son they affectionately called "Bad Boy" was found in his living room with blunt force trauma to the head. His suspected killer is now in custody. "This is an end to a long investigation," says Lt. Eddie Jones of the Albany Police Department.

With the help of the Dougherty District Attorney and Sylvester Police, the Albany Police Department now has 23-year-old Anthony Richardson in the Dougherty County Jail. He was arrested at his job in Sylvester.

"We just seek justice and a person with no remorse that this guy has, we want the max," says Reeves.

"I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison," says Hayles.

The family still hurts and doesn't understand why anyone would harm Willie but an arrest does offer some type of closure. "We would never be completely healed but we'll be able to go on with our life," says Reeves.

For his mother, there will never be justice. "It would never be served," says Hayles. But she says her son can now rest easier now that the man accused of killing him is no longer on the streets.

"He's probably feeling better now," says Hayles.

Richardson is charged with murder. Other charges are pending.



Powered by Frankly