Babysitter leaves kids when fire starts - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Babysitter leaves kids when fire starts

February 14, 2006

Albany -- Neighbors spotted smoke pouring out of an apartment on Don Cutler Circle about 8:30 last night. Firefighters found a 9-year-old and a 5-year-old asleep in their beds in the smoke filled apartment.

Investigators say food cooking on the stove started the blaze. A fire suppressant over the stove hood put out the fire, but smoke had filled the home when firefighters arrived.

"If the neighbors hadn't alerted to the fire, then the outcome could have been much different," said Chief James Carswell of the Albany Fire Department.

Firefighters say the children were alone in the home. "They found them in bed asleep. In one case the officer said they had difficulty waking the child. EMS checked him and said he was going to be OK," Carswell said.

The mother of the two boys, Cassandra Johnson, will not face any charges. She told Police that she had left the boys with a 15-year-old babysitter, who ran when the fire started.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=CutlerFire


Powered by WorldNow