February 3, 2006
From the Office of Governor Sonny Perdue
ATLANTA – Governor Sonny Perdue announced today the following arrangements for the lying-in-state ceremony of Mrs. Coretta Scott King.
- Saturday, February 4, 2006 10:30 a.m. The casket of Mrs. Coretta Scott King is borne in procession from the Willie Watkins Funeral Home in Atlanta , Georgia to the State Capitol. The cortege will consist of a law enforcement escort, a horse-drawn carriage carrying Mrs. King, and several limousines carrying members of the family.
- 11:30 a.m. The cortege arrives at the Washington Street entrance to the State Capitol. 11:35 a.m . On behalf of the citizens of the state of Georgia, Governor and Mrs. Perdue receive the casket of Mrs. King. An Honor Guard comprised of members of the Georgia State Patrol bear Mrs. King’s casket through the west door and into the Rotunda of the State Capitol. The casket is placed on the bier. Following behind the casket will be the Governor, Mrs. Perdue and members of the King family. Upon arrival in the Capitol building, the Governor and Mrs. Perdue along with Dr. and Mrs. King’s four children, enter the Rotunda and pay their respects. Shortly thereafter, the other members of the King family join the children for a moment of reflection and a brief memorial service.
- 12:00 p.m. Officials from the state of Georgia , including Constitutional officers, Members of the General Assembly, Justices and Judges of the Supreme Court and Court of Appeals, and former governors enter the Rotunda to pay their respects. Joining this group will be officials from Fulton County and the City of Atlanta.
- 12:30 p.m. Mrs. King officially lies in state in the Rotunda of the State Capitol. The general public is permitted to pay their respects. Citizens will enter through the west door (Washington Street) of the Capitol and pass through security checkpoints. Upon viewing the casket, mourners will exit through the opposite side of the Rotunda and then exit the Capitol through the east door (Capitol Avenue side). The receiving line closes at 8:00 pm, although those individuals in line at that time will be allowed to pay their respects. All members of the public who are handicapped should report to the ground level entrance of the Capitol on Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive , where ramps and elevators are available.
- 8:00 p.m. The Honor Guard bears the casket of Mrs. King out the west door of the Capitol to the awaiting motorcade. The motorcade will return to Willie Watkins Funeral Home.
Executive Order --
WHEREAS: Mrs. Coretta Scott King passed away on Tuesday, January 31, 2006.
NOW, THEREFORE, PURSUANT TO THE AUTHORITY VESTED IN ME AS GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF GEORGIA , IT IS HEREBY ORDERED: That Coretta Scott King shall lie in state in the Rotunda of the State Capitol from 12 noon to 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 4, 2006.
THIS 3rd DAY OF FEBRUARY, 2006.
(Signed: Sonny Perdue)