Motel owner dies after explosion - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Motel owner dies after explosion

January 17, 2006

Dawson -- The blast happened at the Budget Inn Motel in Dawson Tuesday morning. Investigators say it's possible the explosion was sparked by natural gas or propane.

Firefighters were called to the Budget Inn on U. S. 82 in South Dawson just before 11:00AM. Witnesses who live across the road said they saw a large plume of white smoke come out of the office.

Dawson Police Chief Charlie Whitehead said, "Preliminary report indicates it was some kind of explosion. Far as I know right now we have one fatality."

The motel owner and manager, 47-year-old Kalyanmal Bramecha, was killed. His son says his father was in the office and adjoining apartment where he lived. Kunal Bramecha said, "He was the only one in the house. They say it's just one death."

Kunal and his family came to the motel looking for answers. Grief was heavy in this close family, but law enforcement would not give them any answers to what caused K. K.'s death.

"He was in the office, that's about all I can tell you." Kunal said the building did have a gas tank that ran clothes dryers and a heater.

Foul play is not suspected at this time. The GBI hopes to know the cause later this evening.

About a dozen people living or staying in the motel had to wait outside all afternoon, as the investigation was conducted.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=DawsonHotel