Woman dies in house fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Woman dies in house fire

December 6, 2005

Albany -- A South Albany was killedTuesday afternoon 76-year-old Annie Thomas died in her home in the 1600 block of Jones Drive, when her house caught on fire as she slept.

About 12:30 this afternoon her son opened a door of the home they shared and was pushed back by the smoke. Investigators say the fire started in the bathroom just across the hall from the bedroom where Thomas was sleeping.

Firefighters say the fire was caused by a candle in the bathroom. The fire burned itself out, but smoke filled the home and killed Thomas.

"It appears that she was asleep prior to it happening, and just never woke up. We found her under the covers, as you would be if you were actually resting," said Chief James Carswell of the Albany Fire Department.

Neighbors say Miss Thomas spent most days at a senior center. She is the first fire death of the year in Dougherty County.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=FireDeath

Powered by Frankly