Chemical fire causes evacuations -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Chemical fire causes evacuations

November 23, 2005

Rochelle- Four 55-gallon drums filled with a pesticide called aluminum phosphide caught fire at Doster's Warehouse in Rochelle around 11 o'clock.

Fire Chief Herman Green says workers accidentally mixed too much deactivator with the chemical and the mixture caught fire.

Emergency workers evacuated homes and businesses within a half mile of the peanut company as a precaution. Some residents say they could smell the fumes at least two miles outside of town, but luckily no one was hurt.

Chief Green says Environmental Protection Division officials have been notified and will handle the clean up of the pesticide.


Powered by Frankly