Blazes spark fire safety lesson - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Blazes spark fire safety lesson

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:12 AM EDT2014-08-01 08:12:21 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:30 GMT
    Lauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive DirectorLauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive Director
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>

November 21, 2005

Thomasville, Georgia-- Three fires over the weekend have firefighters thinking about cooler weather, though at least one of them started because of carelessness.

With winter approaching, firefighters encourage you to use heat sources wisely and safely. "The owner of the house started a fire in the fireplace. It was left unattended and some sparks sparked out of the fireplace and caused the structure to burn," says Thomasville Firefighter, Curtis Bradshaw.

Bradshaw sees scenes like last week's all too often when the weather turns cold. "They think more wood, the faster the house is going to warm, and that's not the case," he says.

Bradshaw should know, he's Thomasville's fire safety officer. He says fireplaces are one of the two biggest culprits of winter housefires. "If you're going to use the fireplace, at least have a catch screen to catch the sparks," says Bradshaw. Firefighters say to also make sure the chimney is clear, don't overload the fireplace, and put the wood in the rear. An annual inspection is recommended too.

Space heaters are the second biggest cause of wintertime fires. "It doesn't take too much for a space heater to start a fire. People will actually leave it too close to the wall, too close to the bed," says Bradshaw.

Firefighters say to keep space heaters at least three feet from anything flammable, buy one with an automatic turn off, or make sure to do it manually when you're not around. Also, don't use extension cords with space heaters.

Those simple steps on the front end can help make sure you don't take the wrong step on the back end. "Any time the firefighters have to leave the fire station, it's a sad day for somebody," says Bradshaw. Especially the more than 200 people killed in home heating related deaths nationwide last year.

Firefighters stress that if a fire does start, get out of your house immediately. You only have a matter of seconds before the smoke overwhelms you.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=FireSafety