Fire destroys home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys home

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Today's the day for News on the Road!

    Today's the day for News on the Road!

    Thursday, April 17 2014 2:15 PM EDT2014-04-17 18:15:52 GMT
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton for WALB's 50thMore >>
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton.More >>
  • Kutcher's peanut ponder picture makes London news

    Kutcher's peanut ponder picture makes London news

    Thursday, April 17 2014 2:03 PM EDT2014-04-17 18:03:13 GMT
    Ashton Kutcher, one of the world's top TV stars, stopped to ponder Georgia's official Peanut Statue in Ashburn. His selfie, showing himself and his fiancé, Mila Kunis, appreciating the structure, hasMore >>
    Ashton Kutcher, one of the world's top TV stars, stopped to ponder Georgia's official Peanut Statue in Ashburn. His selfie, showing himself and his fiancé, Mila Kunis, appreciating the structure, has circled the globe.More >>
  • Supreme Court to hear Cuthbert insurance case

    Supreme Court to hear Cuthbert insurance case

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:15 AM EDT2014-04-17 14:15:49 GMT
    The Georgia Supreme Court announced that it will hear the case of BARZEY V. CITY OF CUTHBERT (S14A0620)  next week. A woman whose adult son was killed while working for the City of Cuthbert is appealingMore >>
    A woman whose adult son was killed while working for the City of Cuthbert is appealing a Randolph County court ruling that she is not entitled to her son's death benefit, even though she is his only legal heir.More >>

November 18, 2005

Thomasville, Georgia--  Firefighters are using a blaze in Thomasville to warn people about paying attention to their fireplaces this winter.

Smoldering embers in a fireplace ignited a fire that destroyed a home on Wright Street Thursday night.  The family had built a fire to heat their 100 year old home. 

Investigators say there was no screen on the fireplace, and when the family left, a smoldering ember apparently popped out and caught the house on fire.  "The house is probably a 100% loss due to smoke damage throughout the house and extreme heat. The structure's still standing, but it's probably going to have to be demolished and rebuilt," says Thomasville Fire / Rescue Captain, Greg Owens.

Firefighters say that this is a sad, but classic example of why people should never leave their fireplaces unattended.

Feedback:  news@walb.com?subject=T'villeHouseFire

 

Powered by WorldNow