Albany kitchen fire spread quickly - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Albany kitchen fire spread quickly

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Local artists auction work to benefit Albany Humane Society

    Local artists auction work to benefit Albany Humane Society

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 4:07 AM EDT2014-09-16 08:07:28 GMT
    Animal lovers can give back to the Albany Humane Society in a very unique way. Local artists will be auctioning off their work to benefit the non-profit organization through Artists for Animals. More >>
    Animal lovers can give back to the Albany Humane Society in a very unique way. Local artists will be auctioning off their work to benefit the non-profit organization through Artists for Animals. 
    More >>
  • Worth County is Camera Ready

    Worth County is Camera Ready

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:50:56 GMT
    Karen Rackley, Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce Executive DirectorKaren Rackley, Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce Executive Director
    Every county in Georgia is now camera ready.Worth County is one of the final 20 counties that just earned the designation meant to show television and movie producers that local communities are able and willing to help them. More >>
    Every county in Georgia is now camera ready.Worth County is one of the final 20 counties that just earned the designation meant to show television and movie producers that local communities are able and willing to help them. More >>
  • Sylvester city departments remain without phone service

    Sylvester city departments remain without phone service

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:50:33 GMT
    Bill Yearta, Mayor of SylvesterBill Yearta, Mayor of Sylvester
    All city departments in Sylvester remain without phone service. The phone system went down on Monday at Sylvester City Hall and the police, fire, and public works departments.More >>
    All city departments in Sylvester remain without phone service. The phone system went down on Monday at Sylvester City Hall and the police, fire, and public works departments.More >>

September 15, 2005

Albany -- An Albany woman says she could not believe how fast a grease fire on her stove last night spread across her kitchen.

 The fire broke out at Thelma and Sheldon Johnson's Gateway Avenue home in Northwest Albany about 11 last night. Their 13-year-old daughter was cooking some food and turned on the wrong eye of the stove. That ignited grease in another pan, and the fire quickly spread.

 Thelma Johnson said "I always thought that I would be calm. I would know what to do. I would be able to grab a fire extinguisher and put it out. But you don't think that rationally. The fire is just powerful. It moves so fast."

The cleanup of the Johnson's home is already underway. Their kitchen has a lot of fire damage, and the rest of the home has smoke damage.

The fire department estimated the damage at more than 30-thousand dollars.

feedback: news@walb.com