September 2, 2005
from the Governor's Office
Governor Sonny Perdue has mobilized the Georgia National Guard and several state agencies, led by OHS-GEMA, to help provide disaster relief assistance to the states of
Executive orders signed:
· Governor Perdue signed an executive order calling for a temporary moratorium on state collection of all motor fuel taxes (September 2, 2005)
Actions with regard to
· In coordination with the American Red Cross and local governments, Georgia has opened shelters for the evacuees. Locations of these shelters:
Macon, Bibb County - Salvation Army Shelter
Newnan, Coweta County - Central Baptist Church
Albany, Dougherty County - Henderson Gym
Albany, Dougherty County - Church of Christ
Atlanta, Fulton County - Adamsville Recreation Center
Valdosta, Lowndes County - Central Avenue Church of Christ
Columbus, Muscogee County - Benning Supercenter
Covington, Newton County - Georgia FFA Center
Augusta, Richmond County - Warren Baptist Church
LaGrange, Troup County - First Baptist Church on the Square
· A State Operations Center (SOC) is active and staffed with representatives from the Office of Homeland Security-Georgia Emergency Management Agency (OHS-GEMA), Georgia State Patrol, Georgia Division of Public Health, Georgia Department of Human Resources, and Georgia Department of Defense. Federal representatives to the SOC have included FEMA and First Army.
· OHS-GEMA is assisting on location and in the SOC with evacuation of patients from
· An Emergency Operations Center coordinated by the Department of Human Resources (DHR) is open and operating in
· The Georgia Forestry Commission currently has 18 personnel deployed throughout
· The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is sending 20 agents to assist the Mississippi Department of Public Safety.
Georgia’s Response to Incoming Evacuees
· Yesterday afternoon, the White House asked the state of
· Flights are coming into Dobbins with evacuees every couple of hours. We expect this to continue.
· Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA), together with the Red Cross, the Salvation Army,
· We expect that many of these evacuees will soon call
Disaster Relief for
In addition to providing disaster relief to neighboring states, teams of
The department is providing information and services through its Web site at www.dol.state.ga.us , its customer service help line and its 53 Career Centers located across the state.