Fire sparked by overworked air conditioner - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fire sparked by overworked air conditioner

August 29, 2005

Albany -- An overworked air conditioner sparks a fire at a South Albany public housing unit.

 Three apartments were damaged, forcing two families to move out of their homes. The fire started Monday morning in an Albany Homes center at 7:05 North Madison.

 Fire Investigators say the electrical outlet with an air conditioner plugged into it shorted out, catching the wall and a chair on fire.

Rita Starling and her three children were in the apartment when the blaze started, but escaped without injury. Albany Interim Fire Chief James Carswell said "There was a two year old asleep on the couch in the same room, where the air conditioner was. The mother came back to check on the air conditioner because it had shutoff. When she entered the room, she noticed the fire, and got her child and got out of the house."

Firefighters say three apartments suffered smoke or fire damage. Two families were displaced by the fire.

feedback: news@walb.com

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • South Georgia group aims to stop underage drinking

    South Georgia group aims to stop underage drinking

    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:44 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:44:07 GMT
    South Georgia Starz working to prevent underage drinking. (Source: WALB)South Georgia Starz working to prevent underage drinking. (Source: WALB)
    The College Football National Championship game just days away and tickets are pretty pricey, but so are DUIs. (Source: WALB)The College Football National Championship game just days away and tickets are pretty pricey, but so are DUIs. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany nonprofit is working to address underage drinking.  South Georgia Starz Academy has gotten a mental block grant, through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration or SAMHSA.  

    More >>

    An Albany nonprofit is working to address underage drinking.  South Georgia Starz Academy has gotten a mental block grant, through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration or SAMHSA.  

    More >>
  • Art museum brings out local families

    Art museum brings out local families

    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:21 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:21:57 GMT
    Family day at the Albany Museum of Arts. (Source: WALB)Family day at the Albany Museum of Arts. (Source: WALB)

    For almost 10 years the Albany Museum of Art has encouraged families to explore their creative side.  Saturday was no different.

    More >>

    For almost 10 years the Albany Museum of Art has encouraged families to explore their creative side.  Saturday was no different.

    More >>
  • Groundbreaking for Lee Co veteran home

    Groundbreaking for Lee Co veteran home

    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:17 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:17:57 GMT
    The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. (Source: WALB)The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. (Source: WALB)

    A South Georgia veteran's family will soon move into a new home, thanks to the hard work of volunteers.  The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. 

    More >>

    A South Georgia veteran's family will soon move into a new home, thanks to the hard work of volunteers.  The Flint Habitat for Humanity broke ground on a lot today in Lee County for the family of a veteran. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly