Arsonist may be to blame for Fitzgerald fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Arsonist may be to blame for Fitzgerald fire

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>
  • Manhole overflowing at Lenox Dr. and W. Oglethrope

    Manhole overflowing at Lenox Dr. and W. Oglethrope

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:24 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:24:01 GMT
    Be careful if your traveling near the intersection of Lennox Drive and West Oglethrope Ave. A manhole is overflowing releasing nearly 25 gallons of water a minute. City officials says the undergroundMore >>
    Be careful if your traveling near the intersection of Lennox Drive and West Oglethrope Ave. A manhole is overflowing releasing nearly 25 gallons of water a minute. More >>

July 18, 2005

Fitzgerald- After almost two hours, the fire was out inside Fitzgerald's downtown Dollar General.

What's left was a heavily damaged building and melted merchandise. Fortunately no one was hurt in the fire that took out the popular store.

"Hopefully, we'll be able to work with the realtor and shift them over to an adjacent building so they won't be down any longer than absolutely necessary," said Cam Jordan, community development director. "Anything we can do to facilitate them getting back up and running, we'll do."

The building was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene.

"It's was so hot that when we started interior attack on it, it just about pushed us out the door," said Fitzgerald Fire Chief Roger Coleman.

That kind heat combined with South Georgia heat is dangerous. Even when you're drinking plenty of water and trying to stay cool.

"And they just get to hot and will pass out if you ain't careful," Coleman said.

That's exactly what happened to one fireman. Others rushed to get him out of his protective gear and paramedics worked to get fluids back in his body.

"It's so hot that it just takes a toll on you after a while," Coleman said.

Especially when you're fighting a dangerous blaze out in the dangerous heat.

feedback at news@walb.com

 

Powered by WorldNow