Finally! -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports


July 8, 2005

Albany, N.Y.--The South Georgia Wildcats used a second half comeback to snap a six game losing streak with a 58-57 win over the Albany Conquest Friday night. 

South Georgia QB Brian Zbdyniewski opened the fourth quarter with a keeper for a touchdown, which was immediately followed by a 2-point conversion pass to Chris McKinney to pull the Wildcats within 51-43.

 The Conquest (3-10) then fumbled the ball back to South Georgia (3-10) which resulted in a 8-yard touchdown to McKinney with the subsequent 2-pt conversion tying the game at 51.

South Georgia’s onside kick attempt was no good and recovered by the Conquest. OS Jeremiah Pope regained the lead for Albany with his fourth touchdown of the night, opening up a 57-51 lead following a missed extra point.

The Wildcats came right back to score a touchdown of their own, a 19-yard scoring strike to WR/DB Adrian Cockfield, which was the final scoring play of the game. Albany did not look good to start the third quarter digging themselves in a hole with penalties, but they sprang back with a 33 yard touchdown pass to WR/DB Cy Butler.

The Wildcats responded with a 30-yard kick return and subsequent touchdown. The Conquest answered right back with a touchdown of their own to WR/DB Quentin Ware-Bay. The Wildcats were then forced into a safety by new Conquest OL/DL Jason Reynolds before a 15-yard touchdown pass to Butler.

The Conquest opened the second quarter with a drive resulting in a touchdown pass to Pope. A Wildcats fumble lead to yet another touchdown pass to Pope to put the Conquest ahead early, and then WR/LB Jeff Higgins complimented the drive by running in the two point conversion.

The Conquest looked to force the Wildcats into a turnover on downs but a 4 th down penalty kept the Wildcat drive alive leading to a 9 yard touchdown pass and two point conversion to WR/DB Antwone Savage. Albany then countered with a long touchdown pass WR/LB Manwell Talbert.

The Conquest then recovered the onside kick, only to have QB D. Bryant fumbled the ball under pressure giving possession back to the Wildcats. That led to another Wildcat touchdown pass to Savage, but the extra point attempt was blocked by the Conquest’s David Dean.

The first quarter saw the Georgia Wildcats came out firing with a 7-yard touchdown pass to Savage on the opening drive. The Conquest then responded with a 25 yard kick return leading to a 9-yard touchdown pass to OS Pope.

South Georgia returns home next Saturday to host the Birmingham Steeldogs.


Powered by Frankly