Heat blamed in toddler's death - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Heat blamed in toddler's death

June 17, 2005

Albany -- Wednesday afternoon the high temperature in Albany was 95 degrees with a heat index of nearly 110 degrees.

The 17 month old toddler and his father were inside an un-air conditioned house in East Albany. They were both taking a nap and when the father awoke, the toddler was unresponsive. It's a tragedy that the District Attorney's office hopes others can avoid.

This house on Mercedes Drive was where Paramedics were called Wednesday evening. They found 17 month old Malik Carter severely overheated and in cardiac arrest.

His father, 24-year old Willie Perry and the boy were napping. Perry said when he awoke the child was unresponsive. He called 9-1-1. Chief Assistant D.A. Greg Edwards said "Heat was one, or probably the cause of the death."

The home has a window air conditioner, but it does not work. As the district attorney's office investigates, they warn others about this summertime danger. Assistant D.A. Chris Cohilas said "The same dangers that you see present in a car with a lack of circulation, those dangers can also be present in a home as well."

Coroner Emma Quimbley said "Our children sometime have no clue that their bodies are in trouble. A lot of fluids will be good for our children. And monitor them."

The heat index Wednesday afternoon was between 105 and 115 degrees. Hot enough to kill, even inside a house.

Coroner Emma Quimbley says this is the first heat related death in two years.

The 17 month old's body is at the GBI Crime lab, and Investigators say a full autopsy report should be made in two weeks.

feedback: news@walb.com

Powered by Frankly