Storage facility destroyed by fire -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Storage facility destroyed by fire

May 20, 2005

Cordele- Firefighters worked through the night in a vain attempt to save the Cordele Mini Mart from a ranging fire that was so hot that it warped and twisted steel beams.

The Mini Mart was a self-storage facility that had been converted from an old warehouse on 9th Avenue. People lost what ever property they had stored there, everything from computers, to books, to baseball card collections.

When the fire call came in about 10:00 Thursday night, The Cordele Fire Department called in all 21 officers, and used five trucks trying to stop the fire, which was brought under control about 4:00 this morning.

A warehouse next door, serving as a distribution point for Community Coffee, Little Debbie, and Lance crackers, also fell victim to the fire, which spread from the Mini Mart.

Although there is not yet a reason to suspect arson, state investigators and K-9 units have been called in to investigate the fire, which still smolders this morning.


Powered by Frankly