Man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning

February 4, 2005

Tift County- The body of 63 year old Calvin Hughes was found inside a freezer at Georgia Cold Storage early Wednesday morning.

Investigators say he and Richard Jefferson were using a propane-powered forklift inside the freezer when they were overcome by the fumes.

"They call it the silent death. Many people don't realize when they become overcome they become sleepy and they pass out. A lot of people don't realize it until it's too late, and apparently that's what happened. The investigation is still underway, but when law enforcement got there and checked the area the carbon monoxide levels were very high," says David Haire, public information officer for the Tift County Sheriff's Office.

Jefferson was still alive when EMS arrived and was transported to Tift Regional Medical Center for treatment. Hughes' death has been ruled an accident.

Posted at 5:20 PM by elaine.armstrong@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow