Heater causes house fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Heater causes house fire

December 16, 2004

Albany-- A Westside home is damaged in an early morning fire that started because of a common mistake made during cold weather.

The house at 203 North Ingleside Drive sustained an estimated $25,000 in damage after the owner, Arthur Wright, left a space heater in the den plugged into an extension cord, which was also being used to power Christmas lights outside.

The Albany Fire Department says fires like this happen far too often during the holiday season. "We want people to be careful using space heaters anyway, but it's definitely a no-no to plug in an extension cord and move that space heater away from the receptacle any further than the normal cord that's on there," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell.

There were no injuries.

posted at 3:55PM by dave.miller@walb.com

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • American Red Cross preparedness tips ahead of flash flooding

    American Red Cross preparedness tips ahead of flash flooding

    Sunday, May 27 2018 12:12 AM EDT2018-05-27 04:12:40 GMT
    The American Red Cross said they are prepare before the storms hit. (Source: WALB)The American Red Cross said they are prepare before the storms hit. (Source: WALB)
    The American Red Cross said they are prepare before the storms hit. (Source: WALB)The American Red Cross said they are prepare before the storms hit. (Source: WALB)

    Here in Southwest Georgia the American Red Cross has been working the last couple of days to prepare for the storm.  The American Red Cross has been getting their relief supplies ready across the 19 county region.  

    More >>

    Here in Southwest Georgia the American Red Cross has been working the last couple of days to prepare for the storm.  The American Red Cross has been getting their relief supplies ready across the 19 county region.  

    More >>
  • Albany fraternity chapter holds blood drive for Memorial Day

    Albany fraternity chapter holds blood drive for Memorial Day

    Sunday, May 27 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-05-27 04:04:00 GMT
    Psi Delta Tau held their first blood drive in Albany Saturday. (Source: WALB)Psi Delta Tau held their first blood drive in Albany Saturday. (Source: WALB)
    Psi Delta Tau held their first blood drive in Albany Saturday. (Source: WALB)Psi Delta Tau held their first blood drive in Albany Saturday. (Source: WALB)

    With Memorial Day around the corner, one Southwest Georgia military fraternity decided to host a blood drive in honor of fallen soldiers and to give back to the community.  Psi Delta Tau Military Fraternity Incorporated held the event at a neighborhood Wal-Mart to help those in need.  

    More >>

    With Memorial Day around the corner, one Southwest Georgia military fraternity decided to host a blood drive in honor of fallen soldiers and to give back to the community.  Psi Delta Tau Military Fraternity Incorporated held the event at a neighborhood Wal-Mart to help those in need.  

    More >>
  • A huge feeding bringing hope to the community

    A huge feeding bringing hope to the community

    Saturday, May 26 2018 11:52 PM EDT2018-05-27 03:52:00 GMT
    St. James Missionary Baptist Church held their 3rd Annual Community BBQ Event on Jackson St. in Albany. (Source: WALB)St. James Missionary Baptist Church held their 3rd Annual Community BBQ Event on Jackson St. in Albany. (Source: WALB)

    The weather didn't stop one Albany church from having a nice southern barbeque.       St. James Missionary Baptist Church held their third annual 'Unity in the Community BBQ event' Saturday.  They gave away hundreds of food and clothing items. 

    More >>

    The weather didn't stop one Albany church from having a nice southern barbeque.       St. James Missionary Baptist Church held their third annual 'Unity in the Community BBQ event' Saturday.  They gave away hundreds of food and clothing items. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly