Making the holidays safe for your pet - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Making the holidays safe for your pet

December 9, 2004

Albany - Holiday decorations could send your family pet to the vet, if you're not careful. Shiny lights and ornaments are hard for little paws to resist. So, make sure to keep breakable ornaments, or those small enough for your pet to swallow, high on the tree.

Avoid putting tinsel on your tree. Animals can't digest tinsel, and it can make them sick.

Dr. Rebecca Hall also says keep pets away from holiday plants. "Poinsettias and mistletoe may cause vomiting and diarrhea. There's some toxicity there. And, the holly leaves are sharp and pointy and can cause eye injures."

Also, keep pets away from the holiday lights which can shock them if they bite on the wires.

Posted at 3:11PM by kathryn.murchison@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow