Fatal fire caused by cigarette - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Fatal fire caused by cigarette

November 12, 2004

Lowndes County - A fire that killed a Lowndes County man last week was caused by a cigarette.

Seventy-one year old Craig Barnes died last Monday morning when his home on Thornwood Drive caught fire.

Investigators say the fire likely started in the bedroom where Barnes was smoking. They think he was able to get out of the house, but went back inside and was overcome by smoke.

"It appears he escaped through the front door and them remembered something and went back in, and we found a discharged fire extinguisher he had in the home where he might have been trying to fight it but it was too far gone when he went back in," said Chief Jim Fielding.

Investigators say the fire had been burning for about an hour before it was noticed.

posted at 4:10 P.M. by ashley.harper@walb.com

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Albany celebrates Black history with Juneteenth Festival

    Albany celebrates Black history with Juneteenth Festival

    Sunday, June 17 2018 5:57 PM EDT2018-06-17 21:57:59 GMT
    The Juneteenth Festival was held Saturday at the American Legion Post 512. (Source: WALB)The Juneteenth Festival was held Saturday at the American Legion Post 512. (Source: WALB)
    The Juneteenth Festival was held Saturday at the American Legion Post 512. (Source: WALB)The Juneteenth Festival was held Saturday at the American Legion Post 512. (Source: WALB)

    A group in Albany came together to celebrate African-American history Saturday.  Juneteenth is a festival celebration of the emancipation from slavery. 

    More >>

    A group in Albany came together to celebrate African-American history Saturday.  Juneteenth is a festival celebration of the emancipation from slavery. 

    More >>
  • UPDATE: Crews respond to sewage spill in downtown Albany

    UPDATE: Crews respond to sewage spill in downtown Albany

    Sunday, June 17 2018 4:13 PM EDT2018-06-17 20:13:31 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    Public works crews responded Saturday afternoon to another sewage spill flowing into the Flint River in Albany.

    More >>

    Public works crews responded Saturday afternoon to another sewage spill flowing into the Flint River in Albany.

    More >>
  • Phoebe hosts Men's Health Fair in time for Father's Day

    Phoebe hosts Men's Health Fair in time for Father's Day

    Sunday, June 17 2018 9:48 AM EDT2018-06-17 13:48:50 GMT
    Phoebe Putney hosted a Men's Health Fair at Albany State University (Source:WALB)Phoebe Putney hosted a Men's Health Fair at Albany State University (Source:WALB)
    Phoebe Putney hosted a Men's Health Fair at Albany State University (Source:WALB)Phoebe Putney hosted a Men's Health Fair at Albany State University (Source:WALB)

    Real men can cook - that's the message at this year's Phoebe Men's Health Fair at Albany State University. This Father's Day weekend, Phoebe and numerous volunteers had one goal in mind - to teach men healthy habits they should practice every day. 

    More >>

    Real men can cook - that's the message at this year's Phoebe Men's Health Fair at Albany State University. This Father's Day weekend, Phoebe and numerous volunteers had one goal in mind - to teach men healthy habits they should practice every day. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly