Ninth Avenue house burns - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Ninth Avenue house burns

November 8, 2004

Albany -- Firefighters battle a house fire in Northwest Albany Monday morning.

Around ten, flames were shooting through the roof of this house at the corner of Ninth Avenue and Coolidge Street. Firefighters say the electrical fire started behind the clothes dryer under the carport and spread into the attic between the main house and an attached apartment.

 Glen Reynolds spotted the fire and called 9-1-1. Reynolds said "We were riding by in our car and saw that a fire had started in the washroom of this house. We stopped and called 9-1-1 real quick, and got out and beat on the doors, trying to see if anyone was inside."

No one was home. Quinn and Spring Hawkins live in the apartment, the house is vacant.

Firefighters estimate there was 25 thousand dollars in fire, water and smoke damage.

posted at 3:53 PM by jimw@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow