Ninth Avenue house burns - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Ninth Avenue house burns

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • LIVE: Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    LIVE: Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:37 AM EDT2014-08-01 12:37:45 GMT
    The federal courthouse in Albany, GAThe federal courthouse in Albany, GA
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:33 AM EDT2014-08-01 12:33:07 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>

November 8, 2004

Albany -- Firefighters battle a house fire in Northwest Albany Monday morning.

Around ten, flames were shooting through the roof of this house at the corner of Ninth Avenue and Coolidge Street. Firefighters say the electrical fire started behind the clothes dryer under the carport and spread into the attic between the main house and an attached apartment.

 Glen Reynolds spotted the fire and called 9-1-1. Reynolds said "We were riding by in our car and saw that a fire had started in the washroom of this house. We stopped and called 9-1-1 real quick, and got out and beat on the doors, trying to see if anyone was inside."

No one was home. Quinn and Spring Hawkins live in the apartment, the house is vacant.

Firefighters estimate there was 25 thousand dollars in fire, water and smoke damage.

posted at 3:53 PM by jimw@walb.com