Man dies in house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Man dies in house fire

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:12 AM EDT2014-08-01 08:12:21 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:30 GMT
    Lauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive DirectorLauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive Director
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>

November 1, 2004

Lowndes County - A South Georgia man was killed in an early morning house fire.

The house on Thornwood Drive in Foxborough subdivision caught fire around 6:00 Monday morning.  Sixty-nine year old Craig Barnes was found dead near the back door.

Investigators aren't sure where the fire started, but they say it had been burning for a while when they arrived. "He had used his home fire extinguisher, it was underneath where we found him laying, so he was probably overcome by fire but the coroner's got the final say so on the cause of death," said Chief Jim Fielding. 

No one else was in the home when it caught fire.

posted at 3:20 P.M. by ashley.harper@walb.com