Arlington files suit for grant money, center - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Arlington files suit for grant money, center

October 4, 2004

Arlington- Instead of hitting the courts after school, Boys and Girls Club members in Arlington rack the ball and break.

A few games of pool give them the chance to burn after school energy, because there's not room for much else.

"If we had more space we could get more kids in and could have more students off the streets instead of out there doing other things," said club director Nasha Boyd.

A $500,000 multipurpose center will give this club a new home that includes a gymnasium and a chance to bring in more members. But that almost didn't happen when the Calhoun County Commission turned the grant down, in an effort to trim their budget and avoid a major tax increase.

"We had pledged $10,000 out of county funds to match what the grant requested," said Mike Stuart, Calhoun County Commission Chairman.

That was money they needed to use somewhere else. But wanting more room for Lincoln Logs, the city of Arlington filed suit against the county.

"And there was no doubt that the citizens of Arlington and ever member of the city council wanted this project and are anxious for it to be completed and anxious to work in a harmonious way with the county," said Tommy Coleman, Arlington city attorney.

"We went back and requested the grant again, so that's where it's at and it should be in the city of Arlington's hands soon," Stuart said.

So for now, they'll keep playing Go Fish until the grant has been awarded and the suit dropped.

But regardless how fancy the facilities are, this club still makes a difference each day.

"With the club here, the students are able to be somewhere that the parents always know where they are and it's a positive place to be," Boyd said.

And it makes a positive impact whether the kids are on a court or around a pool table.

posted at 10:51 p.m. by brannon.stewart@walb.com

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly