Firefighter suffers chest pains - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firefighter suffers chest pains

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Purge threats target multiple U.S. cities

    Purge threats target multiple U.S. cities

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 7:10 AM EDT2014-08-27 11:10:10 GMT

    The Dougherty County Sheriff's Office and the Albany Gang Unit will be in on high alert this weekend after "Purge" threats hit social media. Albany is one of several cities that has been targeted. It mimics the 2013 horror film, "The Purge." 

    More >>

    The Dougherty County Sheriff's Office and the Albany Gang Unit will be in on high alert this weekend after "Purge" threats hit social media. Albany is one of several cities that has been targeted. It mimics the 2013 horror film, "The Purge." 

    More >>
  • Mars celebrates 50 years in Albany

    Mars celebrates 50 years in Albany

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:05 AM EDT2014-08-27 04:05:12 GMT
    Albany city commissioners passed a resolution Tuesday night honoring one of the city's tastiest factories.More >>
    Albany city commissioners passed a resolution Tuesday night honoring one of the city's tastiest factories.More >>
  • Alice Coachman Resolution Approved

    Alice Coachman Resolution Approved

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 11:59 PM EDT2014-08-27 03:59:04 GMT
    Bradford Jones, Coachman's Son-in-lawBradford Jones, Coachman's Son-in-law
    An Olympic legend from Albany is honored by home town leaders. Mayor Dorothy Hubbard presented a resolution honoring Alice Coachman to her son-in-law. More >>
    An Olympic legend from Albany is honored by home town leaders. Mayor Dorothy Hubbard presented a resolution honoring Alice Coachman to her son-in-law. More >>

August 13, 2004

Albany -- An Albany firefighter was hospitalized, suffering chest pains, after fighting a house fire early Friday morning.

 Four engines and fifteen firefighters battled the fire at this home on Lullwater Road about three A.M..

48-year-old firefighter Calvin Austin was taken by ambulance to a local hospital when the blaze was extinguished. Assistant Fire Chief James Carswell said "At the conclusion of the fire, when we were doing salvage and overhaul started complaining about having chest pains. So we had E.M.S. check him on the scene, and they decided it was in his best interest to transport him to the hospital to be checked out further."

 Austin was released from the hospital late Friday afternoon.

Investigators say an electrical short in heating strips in the attic ceiling caused the fire.

The home was vacant, because the owner died a few months ago. The electricity was still on as the house was being prepared for sale.

 Most the fire damage was to the roof, estimated at over 75 thousand dollars.

posted at 4:01 PM by jimw@walb.com