Man dies in early morning fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Man dies in early morning fire

August 11, 2004

Cordele- Gregory Fredrick may be facing his biggest challenge.

He must begin putting his life back together after an early morning fire in his home killed his youngest son and melted everything he and his wife owned.

"I tried to get inside, but about seven or eight (firefighters) held me," he said. "I wanted to go in and see if my son was in there."

The blaze started underneath the sofa when this extension cord shorted out.

Khari Fredrick, 19, tried put the fire out with a water hose. But it was too strong. Then he tried to escape through this bedroom window, but the smoke overcame him.

"They told me he was breathing, so I stayed out in the yard until they got him out and then we met them at the hospital. They told me they were still working on him, but after a while they came out and told me he didn't make it."

Filled with grief and no insurance to replace his home, Gregory's journey forward may be as dark as the soot that covers this morning's breakfast dishes. He may need help, but refuses to ask.

Gregory is a custodian at Southwest Elementary School. His extended family plans to set up a fund at a local bank for help with funeral and rebuilding expenses. But for now he's relying on faith instead.

"The Lord will make a way for me. Our home is taken care of."

Because he knows that each moment of this day is in His Hands.

posted at 10:02 p.m. by brannon.stewart@walb.com