Man dies in early morning fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Man dies in early morning fire

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Bowl-A-Rama holds Back-to-School Bash

    Bowl-A-Rama holds Back-to-School Bash

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:19 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:19:59 GMT
    James Smith, studentJames Smith, student
    An Albany bowling alley is helping kids have a little fun before they go back to school. Bowl-A-Rama held its first Back-to-School Bash for High School Students in Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, and Baker Counties. More >>
    An Albany bowling alley is helping kids have a little fun before they go back to school. Bowl-A-Rama held its first Back-to-School Bash for High School Students in Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, and Baker Counties. More >>
  • Valdosta organization prepares for backpack giveaway

    Valdosta organization prepares for backpack giveaway

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:14:47 GMT
    Volunteers at Moody Air Force Base pre-packed more than 900 backpacks with school supplies on Friday.More >>
    Volunteers at Moody Air Force Base pre-packed more than 900 backpacks with school supplies on Friday.More >>
  • Sylvester residents gather for National Night Out

    Sylvester residents gather for National Night Out

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:11 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:11:03 GMT
    Scott Vandermolen, Florida residentScott Vandermolen, Florida resident
    A week after 8 teenagers were shot at a party in Sylvester people came together there Friday night to fight crime .A National Night Out celebration was held at Jeffords Park downtown. More >>
    A week after 8 teenagers were shot at a party in Sylvester people came together there Friday night to fight crime .A National Night Out celebration was held at Jeffords Park downtown. More >>

August 11, 2004

Cordele- Gregory Fredrick may be facing his biggest challenge.

He must begin putting his life back together after an early morning fire in his home killed his youngest son and melted everything he and his wife owned.

"I tried to get inside, but about seven or eight (firefighters) held me," he said. "I wanted to go in and see if my son was in there."

The blaze started underneath the sofa when this extension cord shorted out.

Khari Fredrick, 19, tried put the fire out with a water hose. But it was too strong. Then he tried to escape through this bedroom window, but the smoke overcame him.

"They told me he was breathing, so I stayed out in the yard until they got him out and then we met them at the hospital. They told me they were still working on him, but after a while they came out and told me he didn't make it."

Filled with grief and no insurance to replace his home, Gregory's journey forward may be as dark as the soot that covers this morning's breakfast dishes. He may need help, but refuses to ask.

Gregory is a custodian at Southwest Elementary School. His extended family plans to set up a fund at a local bank for help with funeral and rebuilding expenses. But for now he's relying on faith instead.

"The Lord will make a way for me. Our home is taken care of."

Because he knows that each moment of this day is in His Hands.

posted at 10:02 p.m. by brannon.stewart@walb.com