Fatal fire caused by smoking - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fatal fire caused by smoking

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Kutcher's peanut ponder picture makes London news

    Kutcher's peanut ponder picture makes London news

    Thursday, April 17 2014 12:17 PM EDT2014-04-17 16:17:49 GMT
    Ashton Kutcher, one of the world's top TV stars, stopped to ponder Georgia's official Peanut Statue in Ashburn. His selfie, showing himself and his fiancé, Mila Kunis, appreciating the structure, hasMore >>
    Ashton Kutcher, one of the world's top TV stars, stopped to ponder Georgia's official Peanut Statue in Ashburn. His selfie, showing himself and his fiancé, Mila Kunis, appreciating the structure, has circled the globe.More >>
  • Supreme Court to hear Cuthbert insurance case

    Supreme Court to hear Cuthbert insurance case

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:15 AM EDT2014-04-17 14:15:49 GMT
    The Georgia Supreme Court announced that it will hear the case of BARZEY V. CITY OF CUTHBERT (S14A0620)  next week. A woman whose adult son was killed while working for the City of Cuthbert is appealingMore >>
    A woman whose adult son was killed while working for the City of Cuthbert is appealing a Randolph County court ruling that she is not entitled to her son's death benefit, even though she is his only legal heir.More >>
  • Today's the day for News on the Road!

    WALB anniversary tour starts Thursday

    Thursday, April 17 2014 9:04 AM EDT2014-04-17 13:04:46 GMT
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton for WALB's 50thMore >>
    WALB News 10 is hitting the road for our 60th anniversary. You might remember this photo from 2004. Yolanda, Dawn, and Ben having fun with the Ladies of the Red Hat Society in Tifton.More >>

May 10, 2004

Valdosta - A fire that killed an elderly woman over the weekend was likely caused by smoking.

Eighty-three year old Ruth Powell died Saturday morning when her home on Mack Drive in Valdosta caught fire. Investigators think she fell asleep while smoking. "We saw evidence of some definite burn patterns that apparently burned through the daybed area onto the floor and burned the rug that was underneath that daybed," said Lt. James Wililams.

Ruth Powell was a retired biology teacher from Valdosta High School. She lived in the home with her daughter, who was at work when the fire started.

posted at 3:05 P.M. by ashley.harper@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow