Community center offers piano lessons - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Community center offers piano lessons

May 1, 2004

Newton- Assistant Piano Instructor Eddie Bankston spends a lot of time teaching his students the basics.

"They'll be able to play within six months to a year. That's what were looking at," he says.

This group of eager learners is the first to take piano lessens through the East Baker Historical Society, a group of former Baker Elementary and High School students who vowed not to let their old school waste away when the building was vacated.

So, for more than a year the organization has worked to turn the old building into a full service community center.

"We realized early on that having piano players living in the county for the churches and so forth is a real need. No one was provided that service, and that's something that we wanted to provide," says East Baker Historical Society CEO, Shirley Sherrod.

Each Saturday the students learn, the county gets closer and closer to having a new generation of pianists...a generation that's made up of both children and adults.

"Music is one of the basic essentials in bringing others in whether it's to work with computers or homework or reading. Music always draws people and I think that's very essential for this area," Bankston says.

The East Baker Historical Society is hoping the sound of music flowing from the building will inspire others to take advantage of the programs they plan to offer.

"This building meant so much to us when we went to school here. It was the first time we had a facility so nice in the county, and it meant a lot to us back in 1957," admits Sherrod.

And it means even more now that an old school can help breath new life into an entire community.

The East Baker Historical Society also offers a quilting class and softball league. They are planning to add after-school and educational programs.

Posted at 5:40 PM by elaine.armstrong@walb.com

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly