Fire claims four lives - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire claims four lives

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • EMS Encourages Prom Safety

    EMS Encourages Prom Safety

    Thursday, April 17 2014 6:20 PM EDT2014-04-17 22:20:42 GMT
    EMS workers handed out key chains at Thomasville high schools hoping to encourage teens to play it safe this prom weekend. They are hoping that the key chain will remind students to buckle up while enjoyingMore >>
    EMS workers handed out key chains at Thomasville high schools hoping to encourage teens to play it safe this prom weekend.More >>
  • Man arrested for stabbing

    Man arrested for stabbing

    Thursday, April 17 2014 6:14 PM EDT2014-04-17 22:14:35 GMT
    Ashburn police are investigating a stabbing Wednesday night. Police were called to the Day and Night convenience store on West Washington Avenue around 9:30. The victim, Willie Poke was found to haveMore >>
    Willie Poke told police Derrick Dorsey tried to rob him of his wallet earlier that night.More >>
  • Kids have a Health Fair in Baconton

    Kids have a Health Fair in Baconton

    Thursday, April 17 2014 6:06 PM EDT2014-04-17 22:06:09 GMT
    Over 300 Mitchell County children learned how to fight obesity with gardening  tips and information on healthy eating. The North Mitchell County Elementary School hosted its second kids' health fair inMore >>
    Over 300 Mitchell County children learned how to fight obesity with gardening  tips and information on healthy eating. More >>

March 27, 2004

Cordele-- Fire fighters were called to the Cordele home shortly after midnight and at the time they didn't know four people were trapped inside by the smoke and flames. Later the lifeless bodies of a Cordele women and her three young grandchildren were discovered.

Family and friends offer their comfort to Angelil Ford. Ford's mother and her three children died in a house fire Friday night.

"For the situation, I'm holding up pretty well but that was my baby and that was my best friend," says Ford.

54 year old Mattie Ford was baby-sitting 9 year old Kristen, 3 year old Zion, 22 month old Morgan. Investigators believe the fire started sometime after 10 o'clock when Ford either fell asleep while cooking food or left the stove unattended.

The sleeping children and Ford died of smoke inhalation.

"They are in heaven with my mother because my mother was an angel," says Ford.

And now Angelil Ford and her father will hold on to the memories of Kristen a 3rd grader that loved to sing and Zion a shy little girl with beautiful eyes. Morgan  was about to celebrate her 2nd birthday and her mother who she's calls her best friend.

"They are with God now," says Ford.

A tragic loss of life that is testing the strength of this South Georgia family.

In just the last 10 days, 23 Georgians have died in fires. Since the start of the year, 60 people have died in fires in Georgia.

posted at 6:38PM by scott.hunter@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow