Protect Kids from poison - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Protect Kids from poison

March 26, 2004

Thomasville - Kids will put just about anything in their mouths, including chemicals and medications that could be deadly.

Registered Nurse Kelli Vaughn says, "Don't refer to medicine as candy, because kids will think, 'oh this is candy, I can take this now. Mama said this is candy.' So they'll take a lot of it, instead of just taking it when mama says it's okay."

Jessica Anderson learned that lesson earlier this week. Her son Brady likes taking medicine a little too much. She says, "I closed the lid and put it down on the table, but I don't guess it was closed, because he came to me about two minutes later with it dripping down the sides of his mouth."

She immediately contacted poison control, told them Brady's age, weight, what medicine he took and what other medications he was currently on. They told her everything would be okay.

Anderson says, "It was real scary, between that time of not knowing and him calling me back."

And medications aren't the only things that need to be kept out of children's reach. Get down on your child's level. If they can reach dangerous chemicals, they should be moved to a higher shelf or cabinet.

Jessica says, that's a lesson she learned the hard way. "He could have drank a whole lot more than that in the time that it took for him to bring the bottle to me," she says, "and it would have been a lot worse than it was."

But luckily, everything turned out okay. If you suspect your child has been exposed to a poison, call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.

posted at 5:39 PM by karen.collier@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow