Ruby Tuesday suffers fire damage - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Ruby Tuesday suffers fire damage

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Southern Veneer catches fire

    Southern Veneer catches fire

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:30 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:30:03 GMT
    A company that makes wood products in Fitzgerald sustained a fire earlier today. Amy Taylor Chief Financial Officer from Southern Veneer says started around 2:30p.m. in the roof above the dryers.More >>
    A company that makes wood products in Fitzgerald sustained a fire earlier today. Amy Taylor Chief Financial Officer from Southern Veneer says started around 2:30p.m. in the roof above the dryers.More >>
  • Residents on alert for kids in cars

    Residents on alert for kids in cars

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:22 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:22:40 GMT
    Tuesday night, they got a call from someone in the Harvey's parking lot who said a baby was left in a car. Officials say when they got there the car was gone, the woman then drove to the sheriff's office with the baby, which was OK.More >>
    Tuesday night, they got a call from someone in the Harvey's parking lot who said a baby was left in a car. Officials say when they got there the car was gone, the woman then drove to the sheriff's office with the baby, which was OK.More >>
  • Thief breaks into locked car

    Thief breaks into locked car

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:15 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:15:19 GMT
    Car break-ins continue to be a major problem all across south Georgia. One victim in Americus is worried about how crooks got in his car, even though it was locked.More >>
    Car break-ins continue to be a major problem all across south Georgia. One victim in Americus is worried about how crooks got in his car, even though it was locked.More >>

February 18, 2004

Albany-- Fire and smoke force Ruby Tuesday customers and employees out of the restaurant Wednesday afternoon.Smoke started to fill the dining area about 2:30. That’s when firemen were called to the scene.

The blaze, which investigators believe was electrical, started in the restaurant's ceiling and eventually burned a hole through the roof.

“Most of the smoke was downstairs in the restaurant area, but we isolated the fire back up on the roof area,” said AFD Assistant Chief James Carswell. “Evidently the air conditioning system had circulated that smoke from the roof area back into the restaurant itself.

“For all we knew, it could have been just a little tiny fire, but then all of a sudden flames started coming out,” said General Manager Terry Thornton. No injuries were reported.

Health inspectors say all of the food will have to go. Ruby Tuesday hopes to reopen by Thursday evening.

posted at 4:40PM by dave.miller@walb.com