South Georgia man burned in fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

South Georgia man burned in fire

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:42 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:42:06 GMT
    Dr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant CoachDr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant Coach
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>
  • Veterans to learn about benefits at American Legion event

    Veterans to learn about benefits at American Legion event

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:34:18 GMT
    William D. Simmons, American Legion 2nd District CommanderWilliam D. Simmons, American Legion 2nd District Commander
    American Legion leaders are preparing for an event to help South Georgia veterans learn more about the benefits they earned. More >>
    American Legion leaders are preparing for an event to help South Georgia veterans learn more about the benefits they earned. More >>
  • MCLB hosts education summit

    MCLB hosts education summit

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:26 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:26:53 GMT
    Latreesa Perryman, MCLB School Liaison Latreesa Perryman, MCLB School Liaison
    Military families got to ask questions about the best education choices for their children .Superintendents and other officials from public, private, home school, and online institutions in Dougherty, Lee, and Worth Counties attended Wednesday night’s Military Child Education Summit at the Marine Corps Logistics Base.More >>
    Military families got to ask questions about the best education choices for their children .Superintendents and other officials from public, private, home school, and online institutions in Dougherty, Lee, and Worth Counties attended Wednesday night’s Military Child Education Summit at the Marine Corps Logistics Base.More >>

January 28, 2004

Calhoun County- With the temperature in the 30's, 66-year-old Jimmy Lewis was trying to keep his home warm.

But it may have been the four space heaters, two toaster ovens or even the propane tanks that helped start the fire that's left his home a mere skeleton of what it used to be. It was around 11:30 a.m. when neighbors saw the fire.

"I was at home and I came down the hill as I heard the fire trucks," said Ladon McCray, who saw the fire.

Two men pulled Jimmy from his burning home.

"Got him out on the porch and wrapped up and a few minutes later the truck came," McCray said.

Those who saw Jimmy pulled from the flames were witness to his painful burns.

"I was able to see his burns," he said. "Red meat. Because the burn went all the way down to the red meat."

Authorities aren't sure what started the blaze, but said one of the many fire hazards was likely the cause. Jimmy was rushed to Calhoun Memorial Hospital where he was airlifted to the Augusta Burn Center.

posted at 10:10 p.m. by brannon.stewart@walb.com