Fire destroys family's holiday - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys family's holiday

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:57:34 GMT
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
  • Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:52:00 GMT
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
  • Storm clean up is underway at wildlife rehabilitation center

    Storm clean up is underway at wildlife rehabilitation center

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:46 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:46:45 GMT
    Storm Clean up is underway at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Thomasville.   Sierra Dorpinghouse is all geared up and ready to help with clean up after Friday's storm damaged several animal cagesMore >>
    Storm Clean up is underway at a wildlife rehabilitation center in Thomasville.   Sierra Dorpinghouse is all geared up and ready to help with clean up after Friday's storm damaged several animal cagesMore >>

December 28, 2003

Worth County -- A South Georgia family narrowly escaped a fire that destroyed their home.

Worth and Mitchell County fire-fighters stayed on the scene of a fire the started at one O'clock Sunday for several hours. Richard Fulghum and his wife smelled smoke coming from the hot water heater closet.

When they opened the closet doors smoke flooded the air and the closet was engulfed in flames. The couple grabbed their three pets and ran out of the house.

"All my kids Christmas gifts. I tried to throw what I could out the front door. They still caught fire and burned. It's just hard I'm just glad all these people around here cared," says Fulghum.

No one was hurt in the blaze. Fire officials have not ruled that the hot water heater was the cause of the fire. The couple and their children plan to stay with relatives.

posted at 7:50PM by scott.hunter@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow