Fire Commissioner warns of heater dangers - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire Commissioner warns of heater dangers

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Sharpton urges peaceful rally over chokehold death

    Sharpton urges peaceful rally over chokehold death

    Sharpton urges peaceful rally over chokehold death

    Saturday, August 23 2014 1:00 PM EDT2014-08-23 17:00:20 GMT
    The Rev. Al Sharpton urged marchers to remain nonviolent or go home Saturday ahead of a rally seeking justice in the death of an unarmed black man placed in a chokehold by a white police officer.More >>
    The Rev. Al Sharpton urged marchers to remain nonviolent or go home Saturday ahead of a rally seeking justice in the death of an unarmed black man placed in a chokehold by a white police officer.More >>
  • Gay bathhouses nationwide face uncertain future

    Gay bathhouses nationwide face uncertain future

    Gay bathhouses nationwide face uncertain future

    Saturday, August 23 2014 1:00 PM EDT2014-08-23 17:00:17 GMT
    (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes). In this Wednesday, July 30, 2014 photo, the solar deck of the North Hollywood Spa is viewed in Los Angeles.(AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes). In this Wednesday, July 30, 2014 photo, the solar deck of the North Hollywood Spa is viewed in Los Angeles.
    Gay bathhouses that once remained in the shadows to stay in business are now seeking attention to keep their doors open.Some are doing aggressive online advertising and community outreach. More >>
    Gay bathhouses that once remained in the shadows to stay in business are now seeking attention to keep their doors open.Some are doing aggressive online advertising and community outreach. More >>
  • Update: Albany house fire intentionally set in living room

    Update: Albany house fire intentionally set in living room

    Update: Albany house fire intentionally set in living room

    Saturday, August 23 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-23 16:57:32 GMT
    604 West Gordon Avenue House Fire604 West Gordon Avenue House Fire
    Albany Fire Department responded to a house fire Saturday morning on West Gordon Avenue.More >>
    Albany Fire Department responded to a house fire Saturday morning on West Gordon Avenue.More >>

November 23, 2003

Albany -- With colder weather here, many South Georgians are pulling out space heaters. Georgia's Fire Commissioner urge you to use them safely to prevent fires.

Space heaters cause thousands of fires every year. These are two models of space heaters that are recommended by Commissioner John Oxendine. Both the kerosene model and the electric have a number of safeguards to help prevent fires.

Georgia Safety Fire Commissioner John Oxendine said "Both of these have emergency shut offs if they tip over. Make sure yours have that. If they have the U.L. label, it would have that. With the electric, this is the cord. Don't ever use it with an extension cord."

Ninety-two Georgians have died in fires this year. Sixteen of those fires were ignited by heaters.

posted at 4:45 PM by jimw@walb.com