Baconton elections postponed - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Baconton elections postponed

November 3, 2003
Baconton- The ACLU asked Federal Judge Louis Sands to postpone the election in three city council races and tonight he agreed.

The city approved new voting districts in April, but those districts didn't get Justice Department approval until last month. By then, the city was moving forward using the old map.

Last week, city leaders asked a Superior Court judge to postpone the election. When he refused, the ACLU took the case to Federal Court. The District Three race was the only contested race.

"They have moved me out of District 3," said Tom Pinson, a city council candidate. "I'll be in District 2 so I won't be running for city council now."

"The decision reached by the Department of Justice supports the fairness of the election and Judge Sands upheld the decision from the Department of Justice and now it's the law," said Annette Morman, the District 3 Incumbent.

Qualifying for Baconton City Council races in Districts 1, 3, and 5 will be reopened using new district lines and a special election will be scheduled.

posted at 11:05 p.m. by brannon.stewart@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow