Police officer shoots armed robber - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Police officer shoots armed robber

Patrick Fairbanks (Source: Dougherty Co. Jail) Patrick Fairbanks (Source: Dougherty Co. Jail)
Steven Williams (Source: Dougherty Co. Jail) Steven Williams (Source: Dougherty Co. Jail)

August 27, 2003

Albany-- The teenager pointed his gun at the officer when told to surrender. Investigators say two Albany teenagers, armed with pistols, robbed the Subway Sandwich Shop on North Slappey about 12:45 Wednesday morning.

A police officer was waiting for them when they left the store.

There is the huge bullet hole in the door of the Subway Store. The bullet passed through an 18-year-old armed robber, before shattering the door.

About 12:45AM, Corporal Max Parrish was flagged down by a person who reported the robbery. The officer saw the robbery through the window. Four people were in the store, including one customer.

The officer waited outside for the two armed men to come out. Eighteen-year old Patrick Fairbanks came out first. The officer ordered him to get on the ground.

But police say Fairbanks instead pointed his pistol at Corporal Parrish, who fired his own weapon. Even though shot in the chest, the armed robber and his partner ran two and a half blocks before police captured them.

Major Karen Majors of the Albany Police Department said, "He yelled at the officer. The officer aimed and fired his weapon at the suspect. The subject was shot once, and left the scene running."

Investigators say Fairbanks is still alive, but have no other medical condition. Also arrested and charged with armed robbery, 17-year-old Steven Williams.

Investigators are trying to determine if Fairbanks or Williams were two of the three men who robbed the Ramada Limited in East Albany last week, and two other people.

Major Majors says they now have a suspect in those three armed robberies last week.

"We will be following the protocol of our department when there is an on duty shooting. He will be place on paid administrative leave and then we will go from there," said Majors.

Corporal Max Parrish, who has been with the Albany Police for 3.5 years. The GBI investigation is complete.

posted at 2:10 PM by dave.miller@walb.com

Powered by Frankly