Never try to move the pan during a stove fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Never try to move the pan during a stove fire

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Albany teen seriously injured by hit & run driver

    Albany teen seriously injured by hit & run driver

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 4:02 AM EDT2014-07-29 08:02:54 GMT
    Albany Police searching for hit and run driver.More >>
    Albany Police searching for hit and run driver.More >>
  • Worth Co. hosts open house

    Worth Co. hosts open house

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:24 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:24:37 GMT
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
    It's already back to school time for some south Georgia students. Classes start tomorrow in Worth County.On Monday afternoon, all the schools held open houses for parents and students.At Worth County elementary, families got to met the teachers and get acquainted with the school.The Principal says the staff is ready, and parents told us they appreciated the open house."We are just going to keep going strong with things that we have done in the past, we had a very successful school year last y...More >>
  • Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Lee Co. Woman speaks out about scary home invasion

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:20:11 GMT
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>
    A Lee County woman says she'll think twice before opening her front door after a frightening home invasion.Tonya Stewart says Friday night a group of young people rushed inside her home and beat her up.Her husband ran to help. In the meantime, her 2-year-old niece suffered a busted lip.Stewart ended up with bruises and a black eye.“I just felt like my house was in danger and my life was in danger. I felt like I was gonna be killed or someone in my house was gonna be killed. I had a little gir...More >>

August 12, 2003

Albany -- One of the most frequent causes of home fires is cooking. Friday, two 15-year-old Albany boys suffered second degree burns when they tried to carry a flaming pot from their stove outside.

Fire fighters showed us why moving a blazing item is not a good idea. Fire fighters use colored smoke to demonstrate how flames react when being moved. The smoke goes down, as the air currents force them back onto the person carrying the pan. Flames would do the same thing, flow back onto the person.

Chief James Carswell said "As the air current comes back, it's gonna push it down on your hand. You are going to get burned. As the case was this weekend with the two teenagers. What they did actually saved property damage, but they sacrificed their own injuries to do that."

Hundreds of persons in the United States each year suffer burns this way. Trying to move a flaming pot or pan outside. They are better ways of putting out that fire. Chief Carswell said "If you have a fire extinguisher, that is the best solution, actually use a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. If you have a lid to cover the pot, that is a good way to do it. But you never pick up the pot and try to move it."

Being prepared, and understanding what to do in an emergency is the best way to keep a cooking fire from becoming a tragedy. "You need to sit down, especially with teenagers, and talk about what to do in case of a fire. Whether it's a stove fire or getting out in the middle of the night if your house catches on fire. Pre-planning."

The two Albany teenagers who were burned are recovering. Good quality smoke alarms and home fire extinguishers cost less than 25 dollars each, and can be life savers in an emergency.

posted at 3:07 by jimw@walb.com