Teen struck by lightning is okay - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Teen struck by lightning is okay

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

August 1, 2003

Dougherty County - Jason Johnson jumped out of the pool to get away from the lightning...he never dreamed it would follow him inside.

"We had just gotten out of the swimming pool," says Jason. "We had been throwing water balloons, and went inside to play the game."

Jason says he was trying to set up his play station, but he didn't dry off before touching the cords. That's when lightning struck. Jason's sister ran to a neighbor's house to find a cell phone since the phone lines were down, but she just didn't know who to call.

Finally, Jason's mom Terry was called, and she dialed 911. "My husband called me and told me that my son had been struck by electricity, or lightning." And although she didn't know what to expect, Terry was relieved when she got home and saw that Jason was okay.

He's okay, and now a little wiser. "Always dry off before touching anything electrical," says Jason. Advice, we could all benefit from.

Jason says he'll still play his video games, but next time he'll make sure not to play while it's lightning.

posted at 5:31 PM by karen.collier@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow