Gas water heaters can be a fire hazard - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Gas water heaters can be a fire hazard

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • What you need to know before riding an ATV

    What you need to know before riding an ATV

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:50 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:50:06 GMT
    A safety warning following four ATV deaths in Georgia this week.      A man died in Liberty County when his 4 wheeler crashed into a tree.  A woman and her two young grandsons died in Walker County whenMore >>
    A safety warning was issued following four ATV deaths in Georgia this week.   Experts say you should not operate ATV's on public roads. You should wear proper gear such as gloves, goggles,  and most importantly a Department of Transportation helmet.More >>
  • Daycare providers face deadline

    Daycare providers face deadline

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:15:14 GMT
    The close of business today is the registration deadline for Bright from the Start. The Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning (DECAL) has posted application packages for new and returning providersMore >>
    The close of business today is the registration deadline for Bright from the Start. The purpose of the program is to prepare children for success in Kindergarten and later school years. Programs are offered at local public schools or through private providers of preschool services.More >>
  • Kendrick Johnson family in Albany

    Kendrick Johnson family in Albany

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:33 AM EDT2014-04-23 08:33:54 GMT
    Wednesday morning the family of Kendrick Johnson will make an appearance at ASU to speak to students about their case, its all part of the university's criminal justice week. Those organizing the presentationMore >>
    Wednesday morning the family of Kendrick Johnson will make an appearance at ASU to speak to students about their case, its all part of the university's criminal justice week.More >>

July 10, 2003

Valdosta - Firefighters struggled to extinguish the blazes from an early morning house fire on South John's Street Thursday.

"Our guys arrived on scene in just minutes, and we're able to prevent the fire from spreading from the garage to the house," said J.D. Rice, Fire Chief.

The fire started when fumes from a gasoline can were ignited by a nearby hot water heater. "The owner was out in the garage cleaning up some spilled gasoline," said Rice. "She got it all up, but she didn't realize that the fumes could reach the heater and cause a fire."

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, nearly 800 residential fires involve gas water heater ignition of flammable vapors. Chief Rice says the heaters aren't dangerous, it's what we place near them that causes harm. "Anything flammable, like paint or gas cans, can cause a fire" said Rice. "A child could come by and just lift the lid slightly and the vapors could travel across to the heater, starting a fire."

But following a few safety measures can keep your home from ending up like this one. "Gas and paint cans need to be kept outdoors, but just don't put them near the hot water heater," said Rice. "They need to be locked up, ideally in a metal box."

Luckily, the homeowner had gone back inside minutes before the explosion and was not injured. The garage was completely destroyed, but the rest of the house only received minor smoke damage.

posted at 3:30 by ashley.harper@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow