Toddler dies in wading pool - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Toddler dies in wading pool

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

June 17, 2003

Albany-- Frantic neighbors tried to revive the child but couldn't. The one year old boy drowned in about two inches of water.

When he toddled over to a wading pool, he appearently leaned over to touch the water and the side collapsed. He was found face-down in the shallow water.

The warm, spring afternoon was pierced by screams. "They were screaming. We went over to saw what went on and apparently the young one had fallen in the pool," said Neighbor Thomas Tuten.

One-year-old Kennedy Jordan Jackson needed help immediately. "I seen the baby laying on the floor. He was just laying there unconscious."

They did what they could. "We worked with him," said neighbor Gwen Tuten. "We had the ambulance on the phone."

Neighbors called on their CPR skills they learned years ago. For several minutes, the Tutens and a by-stander tried to revive the toddler. "We did get one breath, though. I got one."

More work and minutes later "And he got one." Two breaths of life in a lifeless body when paramedics arrived and took the toddler to the hospital.

An inflatable, backyard swimming pool the family bought three weeks ago that had a few inches of water, barely enough to wade in, pulled an innocent life from family, friends and a neighborhood.

 The child's mother had left him in the care of his grandmother. Investigators say a five year old child had opened the door and let the toddler outside.

posted at 5:45PM by dave.miller@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow