Americus-- A historic Americus church is damaged in a fire. Most of the office and classroom space at Lee Street Methodist Church was destroyed in the Tuesday morning fire. Fire investigators think the blaze was sparked by some electrical equipment.
Pastor Jim Nelson suffered the most personal loss with gifts, books, and other items he collected during 14 years as a minister destroyed. But Nelson says it's just stuff and he feels blessed to have had so much, "When you start assessing all that you begin to feel blessed that you had them. I don't need the things to have the memories. I still have the memories and the thoughts and I still feel all the love from the people over the years that gave me all those gifts."
The damaged building is an extension to the original church which is nearly 100-years-old. Services will continue as scheduled. The pastor plans to move the Sunday school classes to the basement of the old church.