Family starting over after fire devours home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Family starting over after fire devours home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

By Wainwright Jeffers - bio | email

TIFTON, GA (WALB) – A Tifton family is trying to put their lives back together after a fire claimed nearly everything they owned.

Martin Segovia's showed us where a Thursday night fire devoured his mobile home on Whiddon Mill Road.

After 16-years of building a life in the U.S., the Mexican immigrant and his two children must now start over.

He tried to put the fire out with a hose, but it was too late, the fire spread and was fully involved when firefighters arrived.

Only part of the kitchen wall still stands amidst their charred possession.

"All those memories, I've got my daddy's pictures, my Myra her baby pictures when she was two weeks old, and my boy," said Martin Segovia, Fire Victim.

An electrical problem near the washing machine could have caused the fire.

The Red Cross did help the family find a temporary place to stay.

A car at the home was totaled in the fire; Segovia's truck was spared from the flames.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

Powered by WorldNow