Firefighters warn about rash of kitchen fires - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters warn about rash of kitchen fires

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) –Albany Firefighters are urging parents to teach their children fire safety in the kitchen after a recent rash of cooking fires.

There've been 11 kitchen fires so far in August. Several of them involved kids who were preparing food after getting home from school.

A 15 year old started at fire at this home on Antioch Road Tuesday afternoon, causing $10,000 damage.

Firefighters say usually fires start because the food is forgotten.  Albany Fire Department Assistant Chief Sebon Burns said "Whatever your age is, the chances of having a fire if you leave the kitchen area is the leading cause."

Another tip to prevent fires or burns, turn your pot handles inward so that you don't overturn them, and keep rags and paper products away from the stove.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

Powered by WorldNow