Water safety is essential - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Water safety is essential

VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) -

By Jade Bulecza - bio | email

VALDOSTA, GA (WALB) –  At least ten people have drowned in south Georgia this summer. The latest was a toddler who drowned in a pool in Clinch County Tuesday afternoon.

Two-year old Justin Spradley fell into an above ground pool at his home.

It's another sad reminder of how dangerous water can be. Experts say you should always make sure someone is watching children in a pool, pond, or lake. It's also recommended parents know basic CPR and rescue techniques. A child can drown in less than 30 seconds.

"I just think water safety is very important and I would encourage all parents to have their kids take swimming lessons and also be knowledgeable about the water environment can represent to their children," said Valdosta State University Fitness and Facilities Assistant Director Shawn Phippen.

Here's what the Red Cross says about swimming safety-

General Water Safety

  • Learn to swim. The best thing anyone can do to stay safe in and around the water is to learn to swim. Always swim with a buddy; never swim alone. The American Red Cross has swimming courses for people of any age and swimming ability. To enroll in a swim course, contact your local Red Cross chapter.
  • Swim in supervised areas only.
  • Obey all rules and posted signs.
  • Watch out for the "dangerous too's"--too tired, too cold, too far from safety, too much sun, too much strenuous activity.
  • Don't mix alcohol and swimming. Alcohol impairs your judgment, balance, and coordination, affects your swimming and diving skills, and reduces your body's ability to stay warm.
  • Pay attention to local weather conditions and forecasts. Stop swimming at the first indication of bad weather.
  • Know how to prevent, recognize, and respond to emergencies.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly