Albany family survives massive house fire -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Albany family survives massive house fire

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

ALBANY,  GA (WALB) – Albany firefighters spent almost two hours putting out huge orange flames at 404 Poinciana Avenue. Some of the flames shot 40 feet in the air. Thankfully everyone made it out safely because a neighbor called 911.

Around 2:45 when flames erupted from this home at 404 Poinciana Avenue early Tuesday morning Clifford Hunt had one mission: Get his sister, her three kids, and grandchildren to safety.

"The fire was coming from the porch. We got all the children out then the fire truck came," said Hunt who was in town staying with his sister at the home.

The fire was relentless. Brenda "Faye" Arline and dozens of loving relatives watched in horror as their home full of memories lit up the neighborhood.

"I couldn't believe it. It is truly a blaze," said brother-in-law Tommy Lee.

And when the fire finally calmed, the family's house of 16 years had shriveled to nothing but a black charred frame.

"It puts a lot in perspective. Lives are precious," said one relative.

"We'll take care of them, we'll take care of the family," said Lee.

They say someone else will too.

"God was looking out for them, woke them up and got everyone out," they said.

The Red Cross is assisting the family. Investigators say the fire was started by an electrical short  on the back porch which was a recent add-on. They say the house has had numerous add-ons over the years with numerous firewalls which made battling the fire so difficult.

Firefighters do not suspect arson.

©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

Powered by Frankly