Firefighters rescue man from burning apartment - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters rescue man from burning apartment

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Hahira New gets state of the art traffic signal

    Hahira New gets state of the art traffic signal

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:51:03 GMT
    GDOT workers cut new lines into the pavement at the intersection of US 41 and State Route 122 in Hahira Wednesday morning as part of the installation of a new traffic signal there.More >>
    GDOT workers cut new lines into the pavement at the intersection of US 41 and State Route 122 in Hahira Wednesday morning as part of the installation of a new traffic signal there.More >>
  • Sales tax holiday halts some state roadwork

    Sales tax holiday halts some state roadwork

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:50 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:50:46 GMT
    The Georgia Department of Transportation will suspend construction-related lane closures within five miles of a shopping mall or major shopping district on all interstates and major state routes beginning at 8 a.m. Friday, Aug. 1 through 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2.More >>
    The Georgia Department of Transportation will suspend construction-related lane closures within five miles of a shopping mall or major shopping district on all interstates and major state routes beginning at 8 a.m. Friday, Aug. 1 through 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2.More >>
  • Second Harvest providing school supplies to South Georgia teachers

    Second Harvest providing school supplies to South Georgia teachers

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:29 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:29:16 GMT
    The food bank is holding it's "Teachers Harvest" kick off event until 4 p.m. Thursday, which provides school supplies like pencils and notebook paper to teachers for free.More >>
    The food bank is holding it's "Teachers Harvest" kick off event until 4 p.m. Thursday, which provides school supplies like pencils and notebook paper to teachers for free.More >>

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

ALBANY,  GA (WALB) – Albany firefighters rescued a man from his burning apartment early Monday morning. They say the fire started in the kitchen after 32-year-old Mike Thornton left food on a hot stove.

Firefighters say Thornton was lying near a stairwell unconscious after inhaling too much smoke and fumes from the fire. Thankfully they were able to drag him outside so EMS could treat him and take him to the hospital.

It started as a typical call to a structure fire something Albany firefighter Lt. Lorenzo Hall sees everyday. But it quickly turned into a rescue mission when they realized a man was passed out and trapped inside his burning apartment.

"Our thought process is get him out quickly," said Lt. Hall.

So Albany firefighters did just that. "We had to use forceful entry through the door. Right at the stairwell is where they found the victim between the fire and the door," said Lt. Hall.

Firefighters say the man inhaled too much smoke which caused him to pass out.

"Once we dragged him outside EMS was there to take over." Lt. Hall says the man was breathing when he was taken away in an ambulance. A sight that makes this veteran firefighter feel...

"Relieved. Its one of the things that sticks to you," said Hall.

Firefighters say food left on the stove caused the fire. And if it wasn't for an alert neighbor calling 911 right away the fire could have destroyed a lot more than just a kitchen."

Firefighters didn't know the name of the victim Monday morning so we couldn't check on his condition.


©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback