Man claims roach in food came from restaurant - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Man claims roach in food came from restaurant

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

By Andrew Wittenberg  - bio | email | Twitter

PHENIX CITY, AL (WTVM) - Derrick Echols went to the Zaxby's in Phenix City Thursday afternoon as he normally does about once a week. This time, he got more than he bargained for.

"I went through the drive through, picked up my meal, got me a little snack today, got me some pickles, some fried pickles and I was eating them like I normally do and then I got home and ate the rest, then, I was eating them and saw the roach," Echols said.

The insect appears to be fried along with his food.

Echols says he called the restaurant when he discovered the roach to speak with a manager and let them know what happened.

He was told at first he must be lying.

Then a different tone.

The manager offered to reimburse Echols for his purchase and provide him with a $10 gift card to Zaxby's.

Echols, disgusted, took five pictures of the insect in his food, and e-mailed them to us.

"I ate the one the roach was touching, so I had to go brush my teeth, gargle with mouthwash and everything and I still don't feel right because this is a roach right here," Echols said.

WTVM went to the restaurant, which recently scored a 99 out of a possible 100 points on a public health inspection.

The manager on duty referred us to their corporate office, which took down my information, but offered no formal statement Thursday night.

Still for Echols, the one time incident left a lasting impression.

He'll never frequent this location again. "No, not this one in Phenix City," Echols said.


©2010 WTVM. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow