Pool and spa safety - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Pool and spa safety

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>
  • Manhole overflowing at Lenox Dr. and W. Oglethrope

    Manhole overflowing at Lenox Dr. and W. Oglethrope

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:24 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:24:01 GMT
    Be careful if your traveling near the intersection of Lennox Drive and West Oglethrope Ave. A manhole is overflowing releasing nearly 25 gallons of water a minute. City officials says the undergroundMore >>
    Be careful if your traveling near the intersection of Lennox Drive and West Oglethrope Ave. A manhole is overflowing releasing nearly 25 gallons of water a minute. More >>

May 20, 2003

Albany -- If you own a swimming pool, hot tub, or spa, watch out for electrocution hazards. With Memorial Day this weekend, many South Georgians will be hitting the water to open the summer season.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission warns that there have been 60 deaths and 50 serious shocks from electrical hazards in and around pools. Faulty underwater lights, sump pumps, power washers, or vacuums can be deadly.

 Bobby Hinman of Hinman Pool and Patio said "You want to check your light once a month, just religiously. That's the thing you ought to do, when you look at your pool equipment or spa equipment, that you test the ground fault interrupter on it."

Other hazards to watch out for, using electrical appliances like radios or televisions around pools, that could fall into the water.

Use a ground fault circuit interrupter on those devices to prevent electrocutions.

posted at 4:26 by jimw@walb.com

Powered by WorldNow