Leary father and daughter killed - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Leary father and daughter killed

May 14, 2003

Leary-- The tiny town of Leary is shaken with word of this morning's tragic double murder.

Forty-seven-year-old James Carter and his daughter, 27-year-old Daphne Carter, were shot to death inside their home. The accused shooter, 50-year-old Lenward Brown, is Daphne's ex-boyfriend and the father of her youngest child. He told police he would not be taken alive.

A crowd of more than 100 neighbors, friends, and family members watched as the bodies of 47-year-old James Carter and his daughter, 27-year-old Daphne Carter, were taken away. Relative Lester Hutchins says, "It's real hard, the family is taking it real hard, its something nobody ever expected."

Nobody ever expected 50-year-old Lenward Brown, retired from the military, would kill the mother of his child and her father. Brown's cousin, Reginald Johnson, says he is shocked by the murders, "He's just a normal guy, as far as I knew him, I don't know what went through his head, he's just a normal guy."

Family members say Lenward Brown, distraught over a recent breakup with Daphne Carter, came to her home around 7:00 a.m. He kicked open the front door and went to Daphne's bedroom. Daphne's mother threatened to call the police.

Brown started shooting, killing Daphne and her father James. Daphne's sister, inside the bedroom, escaped through a small window with her life, taking one of Daphne's young children with her. Daphne's mother ran through the front door, taking another of Daphne's children. Lenward Brown then turned the gun on himself.

Sheriff Jimmie Camp says, "He was very calm when he talked to Chief Evans or myself, but he was determined wouldn't spend anytime in jail." When police arrived at the home, Brown was outside, threatening to kill himself. Brown asked to speak to Calhoun County Sheriff, Jimmie Camp, "He said he had problems getting away from relationship, they wouldn't leave him alone."

Law enforcement used a taser to stun Brown, apprehending him after a 30 minute stand-off. It's over now, but family members say the hard times are just beginning. Relative Mary Winbush says, "But, you know I just pray that the Lord will keep us,and give us all strength because that's all we've got left."

Brown is being held at the Calhoun County Jail. He has not yet been booked, or charged with any crime. The GBI is conducting the investigation, and charges are expected this evening.

Posted at 4:14 p.m. by melissa.kill@walb.com

Powered by Frankly