Colquitt county house fire injures three people - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Colquitt county house fire injures three people

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

PAVO,  GA (WALB) – Eight people living in a Colquitt county home were awakened by smoke and flames this morning, but they managed to escape with only minor injuries.

Three volunteer fire departments worked from midnight to 2 AM putting out the fire at 417 Lawrence Road in Pavo, that's right beside the Brooks county, Colquitt county line. Firefighters say three Hispanic families were living there.

Three people were taken to the hospital with cuts and bruises they suffered when escaping out bedroom windows. They believe the fire started in the kitchen. More than half the home was destroyed. The Red Cross assisted the families.


©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    Monday, September 11 2017 3:27 AM EDT2017-09-11 07:27:29 GMT
    Tuesday, September 12 2017 2:42 AM EDT2017-09-12 06:42:09 GMT
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
  • UPDATE: Victims of Lee Co. fire identified

    UPDATE: Victims of Lee Co. fire identified

    Friday, September 22 2017 2:32 PM EDT2017-09-22 18:32:15 GMT

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>
  • Rodent renders Bainbridge powerless

    Rodent renders Bainbridge powerless

    Friday, September 22 2017 12:16 PM EDT2017-09-22 16:16:54 GMT
    (Source: WALB)(Source: WALB)

    A city-wide power outage left Bainbridge without power when a squirrel got into the substation and tripped breakers. 

    More >>

    A city-wide power outage left Bainbridge without power when a squirrel got into the substation and tripped breakers. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly