5-year-old helps save family from burning home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

5-year-old helps save family from burning home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Employers ready for upcoming job fair at Moody AFB

    Employers ready for upcoming job fair at Moody AFB

    Thursday, August 21 2014 9:36 AM EDT2014-08-21 13:36:59 GMT
     Thursday morning, the Valdosta-Lowndes County chamber, along with the Department of Labor, held their second and final "Operation Moody Transition" employer workshop ahead of the September 4th job fair.More >>
     Thursday morning, the Valdosta-Lowndes County chamber, along with the Department of Labor, held their second and final "Operation Moody Transition" employer workshop ahead of the September 4th job fair.
    More >>
  • GEMA offers 10 tips during extreme heat

    GEMA offers 10 tips during extreme heat

    Thursday, August 21 2014 9:17 AM EDT2014-08-21 13:17:46 GMT
    A heat wave will make it feel like the temperature is over 100º in the next couple of days in South Georgia. The CDC says extreme heat is the top weather-related killer in the nation, claiming approximately 400 lives per year. More >>
    A heat wave will make it feel like the temperature is over 100º in the next couple of days in South Georgia. The CDC says extreme heat is the top weather-related killer in the nation, claiming approximately 400 lives per year. More >>
  • Montford Point Marine to be honored at MCLB

    Montford Point Marine to be honored at MCLB

    Thursday, August 21 2014 8:55 AM EDT2014-08-21 12:55:05 GMT
    Private First Class James Windom became a member of the Montford Point Marines in June 1943. He was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps in Aug. 1949. The Windom family will be at the ceremony Friday to accept his award.More >>
    Private First Class James Windom became a member of the Montford Point Marines in June 1943. He was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps in Aug. 1949. The Windom family will be at the ceremony Friday to accept his award.More >>

By Cade Fowler - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) – An Albany family is homeless after a fire destroyed most of their house Monday afternoon.

Luckily no one was hurt, thanks in part to a little boy who yelled for everyone to get out.

Danny Wilkerson, who just turned 5-years-old Monday, was watching cartoons around 6 o'clock when the plug connected to an AC unit overheated and started spitting flames.

Six other people, including an elderly stroke victim, were home at the time.

Relatives say the outcome could have been much worse if it weren't for the brave youngster who said he called for his mom when he saw fire. Minutes later flames ripped through the West Gordon Avenue home.

Firefighters also rescued a Chihuahua from the house. It was unresponsive, but firemen were able to bring it back to life using an oxygen mask.

The family lost most of their belongings including medication and clothing.

The Red Cross is assisting the family, but they didn't have insurance on the home.

If you would like to help you can call 229-347-7275 or 229-418-3152.

 ©2010 WALB News. All rights reserved.   Feedback